Discover the Master's programme & tracks
The Master's programme Chemistry offers specialisations in three tracks. Science for Energy and Sustainability is one of them. The other two tracks are:
The study programme
This interdisciplinary master track – covering topics from both Physics and Chemistry – aspires to train MSc students who are aware of the scientific, technological and societal challenges for our future and will help develop sustainable solutions to the current pressing global situation with regard to energy, climate and sustainability.
The track Science for Energy and Sustainability is an outward-looking programme, geared towards the cutting edge of energy and sustainability research. It gives you the skills and knowledge to move from understanding the state-of-the-art, to actually developing new sustainable technologies that can be implemented in society.
Unique experience of interdisciplinary courses that combine scientific research with the analysis of societal issues, business models and government regulations
Tailor-design the curriculum to suite your personal development needs and choose to study topics that will equip you with the skills to tackle emerging developments in the science and business field.
like renewable energy technologies, photophysical and photochemical energy conversion and fuel cells and batteries.
Graduates are qualified to pursue a PhD degree. They are also well equipped to pursue a career as a chemist or physicist in industry, in business or other relevant sectors, such as energy companies.
Is Science for Energy and Sustainability for you?
It is , if you:
- are interested in sustainable chemistry and catalysis;
- want to become (more) aware of the scientific, technological and societal challenges for our future;
- want to learn how to advance renewable energy resources, promote sustainable development, and use resources more efficiently;
- want to study the development of technological solutions to global energy and sustainability problems, as well as the societal context of global developments in this field;
- want to pursue a career that focuses on developing sustainable solutions to our current pressing global situation with regard to energy, climate and sustainability.
Joint degree programme with VU Amsterdam
Science for Energy and Sustainability is a track in the Master's programme Chemistry, a joint degree programme of the University of Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Courses are taught at locations of both universities. UvA and VU jointly issue a degree certificate to graduates. As a Chemistry student in Amsterdam you benefit from expertise, networks and research projects at both universities and affiliated research institutes.
Want to see where you will be studying? Explore the campus in our virtual map, or plan a visit and experience it yourself using the interactive app.