1. Check deadlines
Applicants with a non-EU/EEA nationality
1 March 2023, 23:59 CET (register in Studielink before 27 February, see step 3)
Applicants with a Dutch or other EU/EEA nationality
15 May 2023, 23:59 CET (register in Studielink before 13 May, see step 3)
Please note: if you are an applicant with an EU/EEA nationality and wish to apply for housing, you must submit your application by 1 March.
If you are interested in a scholarship, you need to apply for both the Master's programme and the scholarship before 15 January. Learn more at:
2. Check entry requirements
The Master's programme in Classics and Ancient Civilizations is open for application to students with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university:
- For the specialisation Classics, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in Classics from an accredited university;
- For the specialisation Ancient Studies, you must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and must have taken academic courses equivalent to at least one full-time semester of academic studies (30 ECTS) in Classics, Ancient Studies, Archaeology or History (with demonstrable relationship to Ancient Studies).
As a student in the Master’s programme in Classics and Ancient Civilizations you are expected to have the following knowledge, insight and skills:
- You are able to conduct research independently and know how to formulate consistent and functional research questions, collect data, apply theory, and write a thesis;
- You are familiar with the interpretation of literary and historical texts as well as material culture from an interdisciplinary perspective;
- You are deeply interested in the languages, history and material culture of the ancient world;
- You wish to participate in and contribute to a vibrant teaching and research community.
HBO-bachelor not eligible
It is not possible to apply to this programme with a degree from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo). We do not offer a pre-Master’s programme (schakelprogramma) for this Master's.
English language requirements
New Master's students should be able to speak, read, write and understand English at an advanced academic level. Please check carefully whether you already meet the English language requirements or whether you need to arrange to take an official English language test. See the English language requirements on the Graduate School of Humanities website.
3. Register in Studielink
All students applying will need to start their application by submitting an enrolment request in Studielink, the Dutch online system for students applying for a degree programme at a Dutch university.
You need to submit an enrolment request in Studielink for the Master's in Classics and Ancient Civilizations. It is extremely important that you register in Studielink at least 48 hours before the application deadline (see above). This is to ensure that you receive your login information (UvAnetID) in time to fill in your UvA application in MyInfo (see next step).
4. Submit your application form in MyInfo
After enrolling in Studielink, you will automatically receive an email with a link to your MyInfo UvA application form. To log in to MyInfo you need your UvAnetID. Please fill out the application form, upload the required documents and submit your MyInfo application form before the application deadline.
All applicants holding a nationality outside the EU/EEA are required to pay an application fee of €100 per Studielink enrolment before submitting your MyInfo application form. You will find payment instructions on your application form.
Make sure you are well prepared before you start your application, and you have all necessary documents ready. You are asked to upload the following documents:
- curriculum vitae;
- proof of language proficiency (if required, see language requirements);
- transcript of records, up-to-date and issued by your home institution (if you are already a student at the UvA, a screenshot from SIS is sufficient);
- diploma (if already obtained)* or list of courses yet to complete;
- translation of your diploma and transcript of records (if they are not in English, Dutch, German or French);
- motivation form (PDF).
Important: the Master's Classics and Ancient Civilizations has two separate specialisations. Please indicate on the motivation form which specialisation you intend to pursue. As an answer to question 1, please fill in either "Classics and Ancient Civilizations - specialisation Classics" or "Classics and Ancient Civilizations - specialisation Ancient Civilizations".
*Please note: If you have not yet obtained your diploma but are in possession of all other application documents, you may proceed with your application - as long as you obtain your Bachelor's degree before 1 September. If you have a non-Dutch prior education, please bear in mind that you must submit your certified documents before 1 May (non-EEA students) or 1 August (EEA students).
After submitting your application
Once we have received your complete application, it will be evaluated by our Admissions Board. This programme offers rolling admissions, meaning you will receive an admission decision within 10 to 12 weeks. It is therefore advisable to complete your application well before the deadline.
If you are admitted to the programme, you will receive a letter of conditional acceptance. In order to proceed with your enrolment, you must accept this offer at your earliest convenience. Read more about the steps you need to take after (conditional) acceptance on the website of the Graduate School of Humanities: