For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Visas and permits

Entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) for the purpose of study

Please note: Coronavirus and immigration

Are you wondering if the coronavirus is affecting your upcoming immigration procedure, or how the coronavirus might affect your residence permit? Please read about the procedure, and more.

Which residence permit application applies to you?

When you are a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country, you need to complete the immigration procedure before the start of your studies at the University of Amsterdam. You will not be allowed to start otherwise.

Please note that applying for or changing your Dutch residence permit for the purpose of study always needs to be done by the University of Amsterdam (UvA). The UvA is a recognized sponsor of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Department (IND) and is therefore obligated by law to arrange this permit on your behalf according to strict requirements.

Choose your nationality:

More residence permit options:

More information

  • Financial proof

    Information for prospective students

    For the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Department (IND) you need to provide us with financial proof showing that you have sufficient financial means to cover both your living expenses and your tuition fees.

  • More than one nationality

    If you have more than one nationality, you may choose which nationality you would like to use. If one of these nationalities is EU/EEA or Swiss, we recommend you to use this nationality, as you won't need to apply for a residence permit in that case.

  • Schengen Area

    Residence permits arranged by the UvA will allow you to travel freely (up to 90 days every six months) in the Schengen Area, which makes trips to Spain, France, Germany and other European countries possible.

  • Staying after graduation

    When you graduate from the UvA, you may apply for a one-year residence permit in order to search for employment in the Netherlands. This is called an Orientation Year Permit. For more information, follow the link below.

  • Contact

    If you have any questions after reading the information on our website, please send us a message:

    Or you can talk to us directly during our telephone consultation hours (please have your student number at hand):

    • Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 10:00-11:00
    • Tuesday and Thursday between 15:00-16:00. Please note: the consultation hour on Thursday 16 November is cancelled
    • Due to the holidays, we won't be consulting from Monday 27 December until Friday 31 December 2021. Consultation hours will resume on Monday 3 January 2022
    • Call us at +31 (0)20 525 5375