Physics and Astronomy will suit you, if you...
- Analyse and solve the physical world’s most pressing scientific challenges and explain physical phenomena with the latest theories and experiments.
- Engage in ground-breaking fundamental and applied research.
- Find a specialism across the entire domain of Physics & Astronomy.
- Participate in research and loved to be trained in analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Be part of our community, feel the sense of belonging in our institutes, classrooms and research groups, and are stimulated to learn.
Discover your programme
In this Master’s programme, you’ll learn to test, explain and develop theories of physical phenomena. You’ll analyse problems and solve them using a scientific approach. Your studies on a broad understanding of physics and astronomy with in-depth knowledge of specific areas as well as the ability to reason and work at an academic level.
Within the Master's programme Physics and Astronomy, every student can find an area suited to their individual talents and ambitions. There are seven 'tracks', that specialize in different areas of physical phenomena.
Joint degree programme with VU Amsterdam
Physics and Astronomy is a joint degree programme of the University of Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Courses are taught at locations of both universities. UvA and VU jointly issue a degree certificate to graduates. As a Physics and Astronomy student in Amsterdam you benefit from expertise, networks and research projects at both universities and affiliated research institutes.