Transition to the Master
Econometricians and mathematical economists are much sought after on the job market because of their analytical and quantitative mindset. Once you have completed the Econometrics and Mathematical Economics minor, you will qualify for admission to the Master’s in Econometrics upon completing your Bachelor’s degree. However, for some of the tracks of the MSc in Econometrics it is recommended to add courses:
- For the Financial Econometrics track it is strongly recommended to do Mathematical and Empirical Finance.
- For the Complexity and Economics Behaviour track it is recommended to do Dynamical Systems.
- For the Data Science & Business Analytics track it is recommended to do a course in databases on BSc-level and courses on Operations Research.
The curriculum of the minor Econometrics and Mathematical Economics consists of compulsory courses with a study load of 24 EC. You supplement these courses with 6 EC in restricted-choice electives. The minor can be finished within 1 semester (semester 2).
Econometrics 1???studyprogramme .period??? 46
Mathematical Economics 1???studyprogramme .period??? 46
Econometrics 2???studyprogramme .period??? 56
Time Series Analyses???studyprogramme .period??? 56
Restricted-choice elective: Mathematical Economics 2???studyprogramme .period??? 46
Restricted-choice elective: Empirical Project???studyprogramme .period??? 66
- If you are a Bachelor student in Mathematics, this minor is for you. In some cases students from an equivalent science programme at research university level can also be admitted.
- To be admitted to the minor, you should have completed the first year of university and have to meet the following three requirements: At least 10 EC of courses on probability and statistics at a BSc Mathematics level. From these 10 EC, at least 5 EC has to be on second or third year level; At least 5 EC on linear algebra; At least 15 EC on courses in mathematical analysis/calculus.
- No prior knowledge on Economics is necessary.
- This minor is not open to students of Economics and Business.
Application and Admission
Please note that you can only apply for one minor at the Faculty of Economics and Business. All other applications at our Faculty will not be taken into consideration.
What do you need to apply?
- a short motivation to be copied in the application form.
- Sign up as an elective student (bijvak student) for the Bachelor's programme in Econometrics in Studielink before 8 May. Important: make sure that your start date is 1 September 2022. You will not be able to sign up for the minor without enrolment.
- a signed and stamped transcript of your study results so far.
More info and contact
For more general information about applying for and taking a minor, visit the student website about minors at UvA Economics and Business. Or you can contact the Education Desk.