Students must be able to read textbooks, understand lectures, take part in classroom discussions and produce written work in English. Applicants are therefore required to submit proof of sufficient proficiency in English (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): level C1).
Proof of sufficient English language proficiency
The requirement for sufficient English language proficiency can be met in the following ways :
1. By completing English-taught secondary education in Australia, Canada (with the exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America;
2. By obtaining an International Baccalaureate diploma in English;
3. By obtaining a European Baccalaureate diploma, with the subject English as first or second language (minimum final score result: 6);
4. By obtaining a French Diplôme du Baccalauréat Général with the Option Internationale du Baccaluréat (OIB), section britannique/américaine;
5. By submitting a valid English language proficiency test certificate. Please see below for the approved tests and minimum scores.
If your diploma is not mentioned above, please consult the diploma calculator to see if your prior education exempts you from taking the English language proficiency test.
Minimum test scores
|UvA approved tests||Selective programmes (minimum score)||All other programmes (minimum score)|
|IELTS||7 (subscores: 6,5)||6.5 (subscores: 6)|
|92 (subscores: 22)|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced||190||180|
|Cambridge C2 Proficiency||200||200|
* MyBest scores from TOEFL iBT cannot be used to meet the language requirements.
Exemptions on an individual basis are possible. If you think you are entitled to exemption to the rules mentioned above, please enter your prior education in detail in the application form. The Examination Board will make the final decision after they have checked your details.
The deadline for providing the UvA with an English language test certificate with sufficient scores for non-selective Bachelor's programmes is: 1 April 2022 for non-EU/EEA applicants, and 1 May 2022 for EU-EEA applicants. Make sure to book your test at least one month before the deadline. We cannot accept applications without English proficiency test results (if required).
Online test results verification
For a timely verification of your English proficiency test results make sure to include the following documents in your application file:
- IELTS test takers: Official test results certificate including the TRF number.
- TOEFL iBT test takers: Official test results certificate including the appointment number
- Cambridge C1 Advanced test takers: Official test results certificate including the reference number.
- The test must have been taken less than two years before the start date of the programme. Test results obtained prior to 1 September 2021 will not be accepted.
- Take enough time to prepare for the test.