For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

How to apply for the orientation year

Information for international graduates
  • You need to apply for the orientation year in the Netherlands yourself.
  • Go to the website of the IND to find all the information you need, as well as the actual application form Application for the purpose of residence of 'looking for work and carrying out work whether or not as an employee'.
  • For more information, you can also visit the website of Netherlands Point of Entry.

Apply while in the Netherlands: hand in your diploma

You will need to hand in a copy of your UvA Bachelor's or Master's diploma. You can have a certified copy made at the information desk of the Central Student Service Desk at the UvA. Make sure to bring your original diploma.

If you have not yet received your diploma when you visit the IND, you need to submit an IND appendix called Statement on completion of study. This is a declaration of graduation. The form has to be filled out by you and the Student Administration of the UvA. You can find this form below. 

Apply while being abroad

If you’re living abroad and your previous residence permit has expired, you will need to start the procedure for Entry and Residence. In this procedure you apply for a provisional residence permit, i.e. your entry visa, and a residence permit simultaneously.

You can contact the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of residence for more information.

Please note

  • When you start working, you will need to take out basic Dutch healthcare insurance.
  • Students with a Orange Knowledge Programme Scholarship are not eligible for an orientation year residence permit. (Orange Knowledge Programme was formerly known as Netherlands Fellowship Programmes).
  • If your current residence permit expires before you graduate, please contact the Central Student Service Desk.