In this minor, you will learn to carry out a data science project from beginning to end. That involves: asking the right (research) question(s), data collection and cleaning, data management and organisation, modelling, communication and visualisation, and implementation of your findings. This minor will give you excellent job prospects. Searching for 'Data Science' on LinkedIn today will give you about 1,000 job hits in the Amsterdam Metropolitan area.
Transition to a Master
The minor will make you conditionally eligible for the Digital Business track of our Master's programme in Business Administration. In this track you will learn how to apply data science in a commercial/business context.
The minor consists of 30 EC and can be completed in 1 semester.
Algorithms and Data Structures in PythonPeriod 16
Data WranglingPeriod 16
Databases & Data VisualisationPeriod 26
Machine LearningPeriod 26
Privacy Law and EthicsPeriod 33
Text Retrieval and MiningPeriod 33
- When applying for the minor, it is necessary to have successfully completed your first year (60 EC) of a Bachelor’s programme at a research university (WO).
- Students taking this minor typically follow a strongly quantitative Bachelor's programme in for example Business, Communication Sciences, Psychology or STEM studies (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
- The minor is also open to other students, provided they have an affinity with quantitative methods.
- This minor is not available for students of the UvA Bachelor's programme in Actuarial Science, Business Analytics and Econometrics.
Required prior knowledge
The minor Amsterdam Data Science and Artificial Intelligence is for many a difficult programme. You are required to have basic knowledge of Python and Statistics. Self-study before starting the minor will be required in case of deficiencies in:
- Econometrics and Statistics
The links to the e-modules of these topics will be published in the Course Catalogue.
Application and Admission
Important Dates and selection process
Unfortunately, the application period for this minor has ended, which means we are no longer accepting any further applications.
For this minor we make use of random selection. Please note that you can only be admitted to one minor at UvA Economics and Business at a time. However, you can apply for a maximum of two minors. A potential second choice will only be taken into consideration if you are not selected for the minor you applied for first.
What do you need to apply?
- Sign up as an elective student (bijvak student) for the Bachelor's programme in Business Administration in Studielink with a start date of 1 September 2023. Important: You need the timely enrolment and an active UvA-account, to access the application form, so you are advised to arrange this before 3 May.
- a signed and stamped transcript of your study results so far;
- Motivation letter.
- Motivation letter.
*To apply for the minor via the application form, you must log in with your UvA-net-ID. If you log in automatically with a personal account, it will not let you in. If this occurs, please make sure to open the minor application link in an incognito window.
After admission: register for courses
After being admitted to the minor, you need to register for the individual courses of the minor. The course registration period for the 1st semester will take place on the following dates:
- 4 July 10:00 AM until 10 July 13:00 PM;
- 21 August 10:00 AM until 28 August 13:00 PM.
All information about course registration will be included in the email you receive after you are admitted to the minor. All minor students have a guaranteed spot for a course, if you register for the courses on time.
More info and contact
For more general information about applying for and taking a minor, visit the student website about minors at UvA Economics and Business or you can contact the Education Desk. (make sure to choose an UvA Economics and Business programme!).