The application deadline for this selective Master's programme is 1 March 2024, 23:59 CET (register in Studielink before 23 February, see step 2).
If you are interested in a scholarship, you need to apply for both the Master's programme and the scholarship before 15 January. Learn more at:
Please make sure to follow the steps of the application process carefully to ensure that your application can be processed.
1. Check entry requirements
The Research Master’s in Literary Studies is open for application to students with a Bachelor’s degree from the UvA or from another accredited university in the humanities or liberal arts. Examples of relevant degree programmes are Literary Studies, Comparative Literature, or Language and Culture (language programmes, including Dutch language). Applicants are expected to have a demonstrable affinity with research in the field of Literary Studies.
We are looking for students who are enthusiastic about the critical analysis of literature and other texts and who have a solid academic knowledge of literary and cultural studies. The programme welcomes interdisicplinarity, but focuses specifically on text-based media. An interest in (academic) research is an absolute plus.
You will be considered for admission to the research Master’s programme if you have a Bachelor’s degree in one of the aforementioned fields of study and demonstrate the following knowledge, insight and skills in your application:
- demonstrable academic knowledge in the field of (theoretical) Literary Studies: if you do not have a substantial amount of credits or academic knowledge related to the field of study, you will not be admitted;
- excellent research skills at Bachelor’s level: you are able to conduct research independently (i.e. collecting material, applying theory, and writing a thesis);
- a desire to contribute eagerly and critically to the academic and interdisciplinary environment of our Graduate School, demonstrated in a convincing explanation of your motivation in which you explain why you think you can successfully complete this specific programme.
If you wish to apply for a Research Master's programme, you are expected to have an overall grade point average (GPA) of at least an
- A/3.6 (American system)
- 2.1 HONS (an upper second class honours degree in the British system)
- B (ECTS-system), or
- 7.5 (Dutch system)
If you obtained a lower grade averages you can apply, particularly if you obtained a sufficient grade average for the courses related to the research master’s programme and/or courses taken in the advanced phase of your prior education. Please include an explanation in your motivation form.
Because of the limited number of places available, all prospective students are subject to a selection process. We will compare your file to that of other applicants. Distinguish yourself with solid basic academic knowledge in the field of study, sufficient test scores and a convincing and enthusiastic motivation letter.
Hbo-bachelor not eligible
It is not possible to apply to this programme with a degree from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo). We do not offer a pre-Master's programme (schakelprogramma) for this Master's.
English language requirements
New Master's students should be able to speak, read, write and understand English at an advanced academic level. Please check carefully on the page below whether:
- you already meet the English language requirements based on your prior education; or
- you need to arrange to take an official English language test. If you have serious reasons to believe you should be exempted from taking an official English language test, you will need to file a strongly motivated, official exemption request at the Graduate School of Humanities’ Examinations Board. Please note that there is a strict deadline in place for such a request, which is one month prior to the Master's application deadline.
- 2. Register in Studielink
3. Pay the application fee (international students only)
All students applying for a Master’s programme with a non-Dutch degree must pay a non-refundable application fee of €100. The UvA cannot start processing your application until this fee has been paid. You can pay the application fee by credit card (Master or Visacard) or iDEAL.
You do not have to pay the application fee:
- If you have obtained or will obtain a Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university or university of applied sciences (HBO);
- If you have the Dutch or Surinamese nationality;
- If you have already applied and paid the application fee for another Master’s programme at the UvA for the academic year 2024-2025;
- If you have already applied and paid the application fee for a Master's programme at the Graduate School of Humanities for the academic year 2023-2024;
- If you have started a UvA Master’s programme in 2021, 2022 or 2023;
- If you are applying through the Foundation for Refugee Students (UAF) and/or have an official refugee status in the Netherlands (as stated on your residence permit).
4. Submit your application form in MyInfo
After enrolling in Studielink, you will automatically receive an email with a link to your MyInfo UvA application form. To log in to MyInfo you need your UvAnetID. Please fill out the application form, upload the required documents and submit your MyInfo application form before the application deadline.
Make sure you are well prepared before you start your application, and you have all necessary documents ready. You are asked to upload the following documents:
- curriculum vitae;
- proof of language proficiency (if required, see language requirements);
- transcript of records, up-to-date and issued by your home institution (if you are already a student at the UvA, a screenshot from SIS is sufficient);
- diploma (if already obtained)* or list of courses yet to complete;
- translation of your diploma and transcript of records (if they are not in English, Dutch, German or French);
- motivation form (PDF);
- programme specific documents (see below).
*Please note: If you have not yet obtained your diploma but are in possession of all other application documents, you may proceed with your application - as long as you obtain your Bachelor's degree before 1 September. If you have a non-Dutch prior education, please bear in mind that you must submit your certified documents before 1 August.
As a programme-specific document you should upload a sample of recent written work to MyInfo. This sample of written work should be about 3000 words, written in English, and should demonstrate:
- the ability to close read and interpret literary works;
- the ability to analyse literary works through the use of literary theory and secondary materials;
- the ability to write a well-structured and well-written research paper.
After submitting your application
Because this is a selective programme, applications will be evaluated by the Admissions Board after the application deadline has passed. You will be notified of whether you have been admitted to the programme after this time.
If you are admitted to the programme, you will receive a letter of conditional acceptance. In order to proceed with your enrolment, you must accept this offer at your earliest convenience. Read more about the steps you need to take after (conditional) acceptance on the website of the Graduate School of Humanities: