Why choose Development Economics?
- Beside the 3 general courses of the MSc Economics in your curriculum, you will take 3 courses with focus on a microeconomic approach to the international economy.
- This track is a joint cooperation of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and the University of Amsterdam. Therefore, you will be lectured by professors from both universities, which stimulates different views and discussions.
- After graduation, you have an excellent job prospect at for example NGOs and (inter)national governments.
Watch Orlando's experiences with the MSc Economics. What is it like to study at UvA? What does he think of the programme, his fellow students and the campus?
Unravel complex interdependencies
In this track you learn how to formulate your balanced, but critical views on matters of developmental policy. You unravel the complex interdependencies on the basis of empirical evidence. In this track the Amsterdam School of Economics joins with the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam; stimulating different views and discussion.
This track applies a microeconomic approach to the international economy. The track International Finance and Trade is its more macro-focused counterpart.
Graduates of the Master's programme in Economics/Development Economics track have excellent job prospects for positions as researchers and experts in:
- (inter)nationally operating consultancies;
- (inter)national governments.
Is the Master's in Economics for you?
Studying economics gives you an understanding of the world we live in and its inner workings. If you have a natural interest in what makes the world tick, you have a head start. Economists analyse a situation, weigh up the evidence and draw various conclusions for policy action. A critical, analytical mind and the ability to think logically are crucial, as is having a way with numbers and an affinity for math.
Are you an ambitious student, but do you not yet meet the admission requirements for the Master’s programme? Start our pre-Master’s programme in September and gain all the necessary knowledge and skills to start your Master's.
Explore all MSc Economics tracks
Development Economics is one of the tracks you can opt for in our Master's in Economics. Take a look at the other tracks.