The Admissions Office will evaluate your eligibility based on:
1. Your academic Bachelor’s degree
You are eligible to apply for this Master’s programme if you are holding a completed Bachelor's or Master's degree in Economics or Econometrics from a Dutch university or have taken Economics as a major subject or one of the Bachelor's from our list of Dutch Bachelor's degrees. In addition, you must have proven knowledge in all of the following topics at intermediate level in:
- Econometrics and/or Quantitative research methods
Additionally, you are expected to have a solid background in mathematics and statistics is expected. Relevant course work will be evaluated after your online application has been submitted.
- You are eligible to apply if you are holding a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a quantitative field, such as Mathematics, Statistics and Physics, but only if courses in microeconomics and macroeconomics are included in the programme.
If your previous education does not fulfill this programme’s requirements, you might be eligible to apply for the pre-Master's programme Economics.
Students from other UvA faculties
If you are a student with one of the following degrees, you have direct admission to our MSc in Economics, without any further conditions:
- BSc PPLE with the Major E&B
- BSc Beta-gamma with the Major Economics
- if you obtained the Economics: Transition minor
Pre-Master’s Economics students from another Dutch Research University
If you are a pre-Master's student from another Dutch Research University, you are expected to have taken all courses at intermediate level in:
- Econometrics or Quantitative research methods
It is required to have a solid background in Mathematics and Statistics.
Meeting the entry requirements alone is not a guarantee for admission. Besides the entry requirements you need to meet the selection criteria. This means that your application will be compared with other applicants. The selection is based on your GPA and motivation letter.
1. Your Grade Point Average (GPA)
If you apply to this programme and meet the entry requirements, you are selected on your GPA. Therefore, you are required to obtain an overall GPA of 7.0 with good grades on econometrics/quantitative research methods and micro- and macroeconomics. All on intermediate level. If your GPA is lower than 7.0, we will take your application into account, but you will need excellent grades on microeconomics, macroeconomics, and econometrics/quantitative research methods, all on intermediate level.
Your GPA should be calculated over:
- all Bachelor's degree results (year 1-3). Any additional Bachelor’s courses have to be included as well.
- your Bachelor’s or Master’s, if you have a Bachelor’s as well as a Master’s degree. You need a GPA of at least 7.0 in the Bachelor’s or the Master’s.
2. Your motivation letter (optional)
Your motivation letter (max. one A4) can contribute to your admission if your academic results are in the lower regions of the requested entry requirements. It allows you to explain why you would be a good fit for the Master’s programme.