The Faculty of Law was one of the five faculties that first formed the UvA in 1877. Although it is now situated at the campus on Roeters Island, it was based at the Oudemanhuispoort for almost 140 years. Read the stories about the history of the faculty here.
The law faculty has been reunited with its Minerva! – which took some doing: the newly cast floor had to be thoroughly tested first to see if it could bear the weight of the statue and its plinth. The plinth alone weighs two thousand kilos, and the statue another sixteen hundred. Minerva was transported in an especially made-to-measure shipping container.
In the presence of members of her family, a portrait of Derkje Hazewinkel-Suringa (1889–1970) was recently unveiled. Hazewinkel-Suringa was the first woman lawyer to be appointed full professor at, and later Dean of, the law faculty. A group of women researchers had previously issued a call for the inclusion of women’s portraits in the Faculty Boardroom.