- Having completed (90 EC with a C average (ECTS system) in a relevant discipline before starting in the Exchange Programme – Social and Behavioural Sciences.
- Please note that for advanced courses having completed 120 EC will be required.
- For Master's students: having completed a bachelor degree in a relevant field.
- English language test for bachelor level students equivalent to:
- level B2 in the CEFR:
- TOEFL (minimum score: 92 internet test)
- IELTS (minimum score 6.5)
- Cambridge Examination scores (minimum scores: CAE C, CPE C)
- sent directly by the testing organization to the Universiteit van Amsterdam (TOEFL reporting number = 9011)
- proof of B2 level in the CEFR on the Erasmus Mobility Tool Language Assessment Test
- English language test for master level students equivalent to:
- level C1 in the CEFR: TOEFL (minimum score: 600 paper test, 100 internet test, minimum score on each component 22)
- IELTS (minimum score 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 for each test component
- Cambridge Examination Scores (CAE C, CPE C)
- sent directly by the testing organization to the Universiteit van Amsterdam (TOEFL reporting number =9011 )
- proof of C1 level in the CEFR on the Erasmus Mobility Tool Language Assessment Test
As a rule a test score is valid for a period of two years. Students holding older test scores are requested to contact the International Office Social Sciences as soon as they start their application to discuss their options.
Please note that only native speakers are exempted from the English language test requirement.
Waiver requests should be submitted together with the application at an early stage to avoid delay in the admission process
All (complete) applications are handled individually by the International Office Social Sciences. All partner universities have been informed on the entrance requirements.
- Application deadline for an exchange starting in the 1st semester (5 September 2022 - 3 February 2023): 1 May 2022.
- Application deadline for an exchange in the 2nd semester (6 February 2023 - 30 June 3 2023): 1 October, 2022
For exchange students coming in through the UvA bilateral agreements (Office of International Student Affairs) other procedures apply.
Steps in application process
The University of Amsterdam will send you two emails.
* The first email will contain instructions on how to apply, please read this email carefully.
* The second email will be sent within one working day after the first email, and will include your UvAnetID (student number).
* Sometimes these first emails will arrive in your spam mailbox, so please regularly check your spam mailbox.
* If you did not yet receive any email from the UvA as of the 10th of May, please get into contact with us.
Activate your UvAnetID as instructed in the second email.
Once you have carefully read the information on this page, and once you have activated your UvAnetID, you can go to the student portal
https://student.uva.nl/en/content/az/sis/student-information-system-sis.html , log in with your UvAnetID, and click on ‘My Admissions’ to submit your application.
Please note that you will need to upload the following documents in PDF format with your application in the SIS student portal:
- Transcript of records (with digital verification or signature and stamp) - please note that master students need to upload both their bachelor and master transcripts
- List of courses in progress, with number of EC/credits per course
- Scan of passport or ID card (front and back)
Proof of English proficiency - During the application process, you will be asked to fill in a course wish list. We are working on the course list for the Exchange Programme of 2022-23. For now, please refer to last years course catalogue when selecting courses on your wish list. Note that by submitting your wish list you do not register for these courses.
If applicable: make sure the testing organisation of your English language test (TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge) sends your test report directly to us. You can also send us your login information for us to review your results.
While we recommend you upload a language test score together with your application, a valid language test result can be submitted until one month before the start of your exchange period.
In some cases we will ask you to provide us with an updated transcript just before the start of the semester.
Contact for students
For more information and questions, please use our contact form that you find under "Contact".