Detailed course information
The complete description of all courses in this programme can be found in the online UvA Course Catalogue.
- Duration: one year of full-time study.
- Each year is composed of two semesters, each covering 20 weeks of courses and worth 60 ECTS.
- The first semester runs from the beginning of September until the end of January. The second semester ends at the end of June.
- Study load per week: approximately 40 hours.
In the first semester students have to take one core course in the field of Public Policy and Governance and the course Transnational Politics.This course presents a distinctive story about the development of politics in the 21st century. Students also choose two relevant electives from a list of approximately 20 electives (topics change every academic year).
In the second semester students select a research project (30 ECTS credits) on a topic relevant to the field of Public Policy and Governance.
- In Part I (Thesis Seminars) students focus on core theory and common substantive literature and on research design within a programme that exposes them to a range of research methods.
- In Part II students concentrate on writing their thesis.
The final Master's thesis is a report on primary or secondary research carried out by the student as part of the research project. The thesis should be between 20,000 and 25,000 words long.
The entire programme will be taught in English, although Dutch students have the right to do their exams in Dutch since this programme has a Dutch accreditation.
A Master of Science in Political Science is awarded upon completion of both the course requirements and a written Master's thesis (60 ECTS credits in total). Fulfilling the requirements should take one year of full-time study.