Would you like to find out if Communication Science: Corporate Communication is the right programme for you? Sign up to attend the next Master’s Week or register to receive updates about the Master’s programme.
Discover the Master’s programme & tracks
Within the Master's Communication Science you specialize in one of the following four tracks:
- Corporate Communication (Communication Science)
- Entertainment Communication (Communication Science)
- Persuasive Communication (Communication Science)
- Political Communication (Communication Science)
The Corporate Communication track has two specialisation seminars: (a) Strategic Communication and (b) Organisations, Media and Society.
The Strategic Communication course discusses relevant themes, theories, and developments from the meso-level of the organisation. Example topics in this course include sensemaking and organisational change, stakeholder dialogues and co-creation, and stereotyping in organisations.
The Organisations, Media and Society course discusses relevant themes, theories, and developments from the macro level of the media. This course focuses on topics like organisational legitimacy and issue arenas, and the role of societal developments such as polarisation, artificial intelligence, and mediatisation therein.
Why study Communication Science at the UvA?
The lecturers and supervisors in the Communication Science Master’s programme are internationally renowned for their experience and expertise in their field of research.
The knowledge and skills acquired during the program provide an effective grounding for positions in communication research, communication advice, and management. Our alumni are (inter)national experts working at different types of organisations. These include for example, large commercial organisations (e.g., Coca Cola, Unilever), governmental or non-profit organisations, charities, public relations agencies, and communication agencies. Some alumni have started their own company focusing on communication advice.
Is the Master's track: Corporate Communication for you?
- want to learn how organisations are affected by today’s media landscape and how they can strategically act in an environment characterised by mediatisation and polarisation?
- want to bring a timely and critical contribution to societal debates about corporations and their communication regarding environmental sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities?
- understand what organisations can learn from big data, like their interactions with users on social media (e.g., Facebook, Instagram), websites, or other digital environments (e.g., algorithms, artificial intelligence)?
- want to better understand how large corporations grow more powerful in societies through their engagement with socio-political issues?
- have an interest in strategic communication questions like engaging with stakeholders or implementing change processes?
Then Corporate Communication is the right Master's track for you!