For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.
On this page you'll find frequently asked questions about the admission procedure at the Amsterdam Law School of the University of Amsterdam.

Questions about admission

  • How can I apply for a LLM programme at the Amsterdam Law School?

    You can find the application deadlines under ‘Application & admission ‘on the webpage of your preferred Master’s programme.

  • How do I pay the application fee?

    All students applying for a Master’s degree programme with an international diploma are required to pay a non-refundable €100 application fee. You can pay your €100 application fee by credit card (Master or Visacard) or iDEAL. Only after paying the fee, can you start your application in MyInfo. It is not possible to start an application without paying the application fee.

    You don't have to pay the application fee:

    • If you have of will obtain a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university;
    • If you have already applied and have paid the application fee for another master’s programme at the UvA for the academic year 2024-2025;
    • If you have started a UvA master’s programme in the 2021, 2022 or 2023 academic year;
    • If you have previously applied for this LLM programme at the UvA and you have deferred your application to the following academic year. Please contact the Admissions Office after you have registered again for the LLM programme in Studielink, so they can waive the application fee for you.
  • How can I provide you with my certified documents?

    If you have been conditionally admitted to the Master's programme, it means that we need to verify your prior academic credentials.

    You will not need to send in documentation if you have completed a legal Bachelor’s programme in the Netherlands or will have done so before the 1st of September; we can verify your prior academic credentials based on the records provided by DUO. If that is the case, you do not need to send certified copies of your degree certificate or transcript. This exception applies to the following degree programmes:

    • Bachelor Rechtsgeleerdheid (croho 50700)
    • Bachelor Fiscaal Recht (croho 56827)
    • Bachelor Notarieel Recht (croho 56828)

    The same exception applies if you have completed a Bachelor’s programme at the UvA.

    If you are required to submit documentation, there are two ways in which you can provide us with your diploma/statement of graduation and transcript. You can ask your university to email these documents to us directly at Please note that we will not accept emails forwarded by students, but only emails directly sent to us by the issuing university. Please make sure that your name, your UvA ID (student number) and your study programme are mentioned in the email.

    If your university does not provide this service, you can send us certified hardcopies of these documents by post to the address below.

    What is a certified hardcopy?

    A certified copy is a photocopy of the original document with a wet ink stamp and signature from your school/university or from an authorised notary. Uncertified photocopies or scanned copies of original documents will not be accepted. Do not send us the original documents - we cannot be held responsible for any documents that get lost in the process.

    Watch the explainer video on YouTube


    Documents that are not written in Dutch, English, German or French, must be accompanied by an official translation to English made by a sworn translator or a notary.

    Please send your certified documents by regular post to the following address:

    Admissions Office of the Amsterdam Law School (room A6.01a)
    Post Office Box 1030
    1000 BA Amsterdam
    The Netherlands

    Please note: In case of registered post:
    Admissions Office of the Amsterdam Law School (room A6.01a)
    Valckenierstraat 59
    1018 XE Amsterdam
    The Netherlands

  • Do the certified documents need to be translated into English?

    Yes, all certified documents need to be translated into English, unless if they are in Dutch, French or German. The Admissions Office reserves the right to request a translation into English at any time.

  • Do I need to upload my English proficiency test during my application or can I upload it later?

    To complete your online application you need to upload proof of an English Proficiency test with sufficient scores. Please note that only a complete online application will be processed. This means that if proof of your English Proficiency test with sufficient scores is missing in your online application, your application will be considered as incomplete and will not be processed.

  • Can the English language proficiency test be waived?

    The following students are exempted from English language proficiency test:

    • Students who have received their prior education in one of the following English speaking countries: Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
    • Students who possess an international or European baccalaureate diploma (with English as the only language of instruction).
    • Students who have completed an English-language study programme (the minimum level is a Bachelor’s programme).
    • Students who possess a Bachelor’s diploma from a Dutch research university.
  • What is the application deadline for scholarships?

     If you would like to be considered for a scholarship, you will need to have submitted your LLM application (including all required documents) on 1 January. The deadline for submitting the intake form for the scholarship and all scholarship related documents is 15 January.

    Read more about scholarships

  • Are there any special provisions available for students with disabilities?

    Do you have a chronic disorder that could obstruct your ability to take part in the curriculum? The University of Amsterdam offers various types of support and counseling to be able to offer you the best possible study time, thus helping prevent study delays. Please note: the regulations and arrangements of the University of Amsterdam could be different from the ones of your home University. You do not automatically have the same rights here.

    Read more about studying with a disability

  • How can I apply for UvA housing?

    In case you have applied before the application deadline for students who want to apply for housing and if you are (conditionally) admitted to a Master’s programme, the UvA’s Housing Office will provide you with an application form for student accommodation (provided that you meet the conditions to be eligible for UvA housing. Please note: student housing is never guaranteed.

  • I have a question about UvA Housing, who can I contact?
  • How do I finalise my enrolment at the UvA?

    Once you have been (conditionally) admitted to a Master’s programme at the Amsterdam Law School, you will receive information by email from the Central Student Service Desk on how to complete your registration and, if applicable, how to apply for a visa or residence permit.

  • My application has been closed because it was incomplete. Can I apply again?

    When you submit an incomplete application file, we will remind you to provide us with the missing document(s). In case you do not provide us with the missing document(s) before the indicated deadline, we will close your application file. You are welcome to apply again with a complete file as long as you submit your application file before the application deadline that applies to you.

  • I was rejected/not selected for the LLM programme that I applied for. Can I re-apply for the same start moment?

    The admission decision to reject your application or to not select you to participate in the LLM programme applies for a certain academic year. This means that it is not possible to apply again for the same academic year. You may submit a new application for the following academic year once the applications open again.

  • How can I pay the tuition fee?

    You can find detailed information about the payment of the tuition fee via the link below. 

    Read more about the tuition fee payment

  • Do you accept TOEFL MyBest Scores or the IELTS One Skill Retake?

    No, we do not accept TOEFL Mybest Scores or the IELTS One Skill Retake.