For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Amsterdam Law School

FAQ Law programmes

Amsterdam Law School

Frequently asked questions about the admission procedure.

  • How do I pay the application fee for non-EEA students?

    Applicants with a non-EEA nationality are required to pay an administrative fee of € 100,- before the application deadline. This fee will be reimbursed to those students who successfully enroll at the Amsterdam Law School. The fee should be remitted to:

    Deutsche Bank,

    De Entree 99-197, 1101 HE Amsterdam, The Netherlands

    IBAN no: NL69DEUT0509095402



    University of Amsterdam

    1000 BA Amsterdam

    The Netherlands

    Stating reference number “C.2110.0005” and your name.

  • What address should I send the application documents to?

    You can upload your documents in the application form. You will also have to submit hard copies of the certified documents (bachelor’s diploma and grade transcript). You can send the documents to one of the following addresses:

    For regular post:
    Admissions Office of the Amsterdam Law School (room 6.01a)
    Post Office Box 1030
    1000 BA Amsterdam
    The Netherlands

    For registered post:
    Admissions Office of the Amsterdam Law School (room 6.01a)
    Valckenierstraat 59
    1018 XE Amsterdam
    The Netherlands

  • Can I send the certified documents by email?

    You will have to send hard copies of the certified documents (bachelor’s diploma and grade transcript) to the Admission Office. Scans of these documents will not suffice, as the documents will need to have an original stamp and signature.

  • What is a certified copy?

    A certified copy does NOT mean a plain photocopy. A certified copy is a duplicate verified to be a true and faithful copy of the original. The document should be certified with an original stamp and signature by an authorized signatory such as a university official or a notary. These certified documents are necessary for the Admission Office to verify that you indeed graduated from your school. Please note: a copy of the certified copy is no longer a certified copy!

    >> Watch the explainer video on YouTube

  • Who can certify the copy of my degree certificate?

    In most cases, the school where you received your degree certificate will be able to provide a certified copy of the documents for you. In other cases, for example if you live abroad or your school no longer exists, a notary will usually be able to certify your documents.

  • May I send in my degree certificate after the application deadline?

    If you will be graduating after the application deadline, you will need to provide us with an official Statement of Graduation by the same date. This document must state your official date of graduation, and must include a declaration that you have successfully finished all the coursework for your bachelor’s degree. The statement must be an original document stamped and signed by your university on paper with your university’s letterhead. The statement must also be accompanied by a certified grade transcript.

  • Can the English language proficiency test be waived?

    The following students are exempted from English language proficiency test:

    • Students who have received their prior education in one of the following countries: The Netherlands, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States;
    • Students who have completed an university English-language legal study programme (such as a Bachelor’s degree) and received a degree certificate attesting to this;
    • Students who have completed the bachelor’s programme Liberal Arts & Sciences, PPLE, European Studies or International Relations with a major in Law;
    • Students who hold an international or European Baccalaureate diploma (with English as the language of instruction).
    • Students who have a sufficient mark (6 or higher) for English on their Dutch vwo diploma or possess a vwo certificate in English.
    • Students who have received their prior education in the Netherlands.
  • May I send in the English language proficiency test results after the application deadline?

    The Admissions Office prefers it if you submit all documents before the application deadline. In case this is not possible for you, you may submit the English proficiency test after the deadline, provided that all other documents and the application fee have been received prior to the application deadline. The Admissions Office will then give you a final deadline before which you will have to submit this last document.

  • Are there any special provisions available for students with disabilities?

    Do you have a chronic disorder that could obstruct your ability to take part in the curriculum? The University of Amsterdam offers various types of support and counseling to be able to offer you the best possible study time, thus helping prevent study delays. Please note that the regulations and arrangements of the University of Amsterdam could be different from the ones of your home University. You do not automatically have the same rights here.

    Go to Studying with a disability

  • How can I apply for UvA housing?

    Please indicate in your application form that you are interested in housing. Only students who are fully admitted to a master’s programme can apply for student accommodation. If you are fully admitted before the housing deadline, the UvA’s Housing Office will provide you with an application form for student accommodation. Please note that student housing is never guaranteed.

  • How do I finalize my enrolment at the UvA?

    Once you have been admitted to a master’s programme at the Amsterdam Law School, you will receive information by email from  the Central Student Service Desk on how to complete your registration and, if applicable, how to apply for a visa or residence permit.