This minor is offered by the Faculty of Humanities. The faculty’s minors consist of 30 ECTS credits and earn you a second qualification that will be listed on the transcript accompanying your degree certificate.
This minor is interesting for students who would like to gain:
- A deeper understanding of underlying dynamics that structure distinct searches for justice around the world;
- Knowledge of critical theories and key concepts pertaining to the study of power and in/justice;
- Knowledge of the central methodological and ethical debates and challenges in the field;
- Analytical skills to critically study and interpret historical or present day searches for justice;
- Analytical and practical skills to understand and engage with justice-seeking initiatives, including practice-based and action-driven work;
- The ability to apply a justice-focused lens in the own major.
Social Justice in ContextPeriod 16
Crime, Justice and Conflict OtherwisePeriod 26
Race, Place and the Politics of IndigeneityPeriod 36
Environmental and Climate Justice*Period 46
Gender and Social Inequality in Latin America*Period 46
Spatial Justice across Cities*Period 56
Democracy, Populism and Resistance*Period 56
Choose two of the courses marked with a *
Full course descriptions wil be published in the UvA Course Catalogue 12 May 2023.
This minor is open for application to students who have obtained 60 ECTS, an academic first-year diploma (propedeuse), or a positive Binding Study Advice from an academic Bachelor's programme.
The minor is also open for application to students from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) who have completed their propaedeutic year. If you are an HBO student and if you are looking to do a Master's programme at the UvA, please check out the Faculty of Humanities’ pre-Master's programmes, as completing a minor is not enough to grant you access to Master’s programmes.
The enrolment for the academic year of 2023-2024 will start 15 May 2023.
Unfortunately, you can no longer register for this minor for the 2023-2024 academic year, as the maximum number has been reached.