Help organisations identify financial consequences of risks
As a future expert you will analyse the financial consequences of economic developments and risks. You will use mathematics, statistics, and financial theory to study uncertain future events, for example those of concern to insurance and pension companies.
During your studies we help you gain insight into the latest theories and models. Besides this, we will train you to apply them to real-life business cases.
Take 120 seconds to find out why you should study BSc Actuarial Science at the University of Amsterdam.
Top-5 reasons to study Actuarial Science at UvA
- Find a job within no-time
Financially and statistically trained actuaries are in high demand in the insurance industry as well as in a wide range of other profit and non-profit sectors.
- Learn from leading industry experts
Expect interesting guest lectures from leading institutions such as the Dutch Central Bank (DNB) or European Central Bank. Connect with these experts and get an impression of your future work environment.
- Highly recommended by our students
Study in an international environment, in the heart of Amsterdam, with plenty of job opportunities.
- Profit from intensive coaching
During your 1st year with us you will receive intensive academic counselling. You can also count on individual support during the rest of your studies. Participate in career, academic and networking events, organised by our study association VSAE.
- Earn an internationally recognised BSc title
You will take the BSc Actuarial Science at the Amsterdam School of Economics, part of the University of Amsterdam. Only a few Dutch universities have earned a place in the top 100 universities worldwide as we have. A BSc from the UvA immediately raises your profile on the international stage.
Amsterdam is the perfect study place. It offers all the perks of a city, but it is not overwhelmingEkatarina Dimitrova, student BSc Actuarial Science Read about Ekatarina's experiences with this Bachelor's
This Bachelor’s is a great 1st step in your journey to becoming a fully qualified actuary. After your Bachelor’s in Actuarial Science you can continue your studies with a Master’s or you can start with your first job. Actuaries are highly sought after on the labour market. As an actuary you could work for organisations such as:
- insurance companies
- pension funds
- government institutions
- financial institutions (national or European banks)
Watch Didier's experiences with the BSc Actuarial Science.
Is Actuarial Science for you?
If you recognise yourself in the following profile, Actuarial Science could be the right choice for you:
- Mathematics is one of your favourite subjects. You study mathematics at the highest possible level and achieve good grades for it.
- You have an affinity for numbers as well as the societal reality behind them, you are a good abstract thinker and you have strong analytical skills.
- You achieve high marks in English.
- You are capable of working independently: you know how to use a library. Initiative and inquisitiveness are also of great value.
Do you want to find out the main differences and similarities between our Bachelor’s programmes in Actuarial Science and Econometrics? Or are you still not sure which programme is the right fit for you? Check out the infographic.