Would you like to find out if the Research Master’s (Professional track) in Communication Science is the right programme for you? Sign up to attend the next Master’s Week or register to receive updates about the Master’s programme.
Discover the two Research Master’s tracks
There are two different types of Research Master's offered by the Graduate School of Communication. The academic track is tailored to students who have the ambition to pursue a PhD after graduation. The professional track is tailored to students who have the ambition to pursue a career in research outside academia:
- Research Master's (Academic Track)
- Research Master's (Professional Track)
In what seems like an instant, we have witnessed significant transformations in both the media we use to communicate – and the ways in which we communicate. Digital media, in particular, have ushered in an era where the digital landscape is fundamentally reshaped by us and for us. Whether it is news and politics, entertainment, health, or commerce, technological transformations have heightened both the opportunities and undesirable consequences that individuals experience throughout their personal and professional lives.
It is here, that we see the necessity for Communication Science: the theoretical and empirical study of the production, contents, meanings, and effects of mediated communication for individuals, organisations, and societies. In the Research Master's you will study cutting-edge communication science research by combining theoretical courses about political, persuasive, corporate or entertainment communication, with extensive methodological coursework and hand-on experience by carrying out communication research at a professional organisation.
Why study Communication Science at the UvA?
The lecturers and supervisors of the Research Master's programme are all academic staff members of the Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR). ASCoR is the largest research institute of its kind in Europe and among the largest worldwide.
Due to an extensive focus on advanced quantitative and qualitative research skills combined with hand-on experience at a professional organisation, you will be able to independently carry out high-quality scientific research after completion of this programme. The Research Master (Professional track) is excellent preparation for a career in research outside academia but also qualifies to enter a PhD program.
The knowledge and skills acquired during the course provide an effective grounding for positions in:
- Communication research (academic researcher, media researcher, market and opinion researcher)
- Communication advice (publishing, public information expert, advertising or PR consultant, communication consultant)
- Management (publisher, programme director, research agency)
Is the Professional Research Master's Communication Science for you?
- enjoy doing research, and want to learn how to use research to formulate recommendations for practitioners?
- like a challenge? Research in communication science is complicated.
- find communication science deeply fascinating and cannot wait to explore the field?
- consider achieving a job in research and analysis after your Master's?
- feel motivated to get the most out of your Master's programme and want to be challenged by your lecturers and fellow students?
Then the Professional track of Research Master's is the right Master's track for you!