Would you like to find out if Persuasive Communication is the right programme for you? Sign up to attend the next Master’s Week or register to receive updates about the Master’s programme.
Discover the Master’s programme & tracks
Within the Master's Communication Science you specialize in one of the following four tracks:
- Persuasive Communication (Communication Science)
- Corporate Communication (Communication Science)
- Entertainment Communication (Communication Science)
- Political Communication (Communication Science)
In this Communication Science Master’s track, you will study a variety of marketing- and health communication theories, and learn how to apply these theories to challenging problems of consumer and health-related behaviour. By using the latest scientific insights, you will learn how and under which conditions communication can be used as a strategic tool to inform and influence people, or how people can be empowered to resist persuasion.
Unique about the programme is the synergy between the fields of marketing communication and health communication. Gaining in-depth knowledge about the theories and latest research in both fields will help you to become a professional that is well-prepared for the challenges and opportunities of persuasive communication in the current (digital) society. Particular attention is paid to communication through digital media and technologies, by studying topics like social media influencers, (health) apps, and algorithmic persuasion.
Professor Guda van Noort & Student James Trusler
Why study Communication Science at the UvA?
4 different specialisations
The lecturers and supervisors in the Communication Science Master’s programme are internationally renowned for their experience and expertise in their field of research.
This high-level Master’s prepares you for a variety of jobs creating broad employability. Our alumni are (inter)national experts working at different types of organisations, for example corporates like PepsiCo, Unilever and Booking.com, communication consultancy agencies like MediaCom and Kantar or governmental organisations. Jobs include campaign developer in advertising or health, marketing communication strategist, public information expert or social media manager.
Is the Master's track: Persuasive Communication for you?
- want to know how to develop and evaluate evidence-based marketing and health communication messages and campaigns?
- have an interest in how people use media and how you can reach your target audience?
- want to study the hot topics in the field of persuasive communication like influencer marketing, social media engagement, persuasive design, VR/AR, algorithms, and AI?
- want to learn more about how persuasive communication can be used for the good, such as to improve (mental) health, digital well-being, and sustainable behavior?
- want to understand the challenges and opportunities of consumers and organisations interacting via social media, apps, or other digital environments?
Then Persuasive Communication is the right Master's track for you!