For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.


Visas and permits

Find answers to issues concerning MyInfo, the IND, the municipality and the extension procedure.

  • Can I travel to the Netherlands as a non-EU/EEA student?

    As a student you are exempted from the EU travel ban and you are allowed to travel to the Netherlands if you have received the IND decision letter stating that you will receive a residence permit for study. You will receive this IND decision letter from the immigration office of the UvA. You have to carry this with you while you travel.

    You must bring the letter stating that you will receive a residence permit (kennisgeving) when you travel to the Netherlands. If a family member is accompanying, they must have a copy of your IND letter as well.

  • Where can I collect my residence permit card?

    You can collect your residence permit card at the IND desk in Amsterdam approximately 3 weeks after submitting your biometric details, which you provided either at the embassy when you collected your MVV or at the IND desk in Amsterdam. For more information, please visit our Upon arrival website.

  • My partner needs a residence permit as well. Can the university arrange that for us?

    Unfortunately not, we can only assist UvA students (and in some cases, their children) with their application for a Dutch residence permit. 

  • My child needs a residence permit as well. Can the university arrange that as well?

    Yes, we can assist with the residence permit application of your child if you are a UvA student, but only when just your child comes with you to the Netherlands. Please let us know if you need us to assist you with applying for a residence permit for your child. If you are moving to the Netherlands with both your child and your partner, you will need to apply for their permits through the IND yourself.

  • What should I do if I have a residence gap?

    A residence gap is a period when you live in the Netherlands without holding a valid residence permit. It may have consequences for future applications through the IND. However, this is not something the UvA can influence. You can avoid a residence gap by ensuring that you hold a valid permit for the duration of your studies at the UvA.

  • How long am I allowed to stay abroad with a residence permit?

    The IND allows you to stay abroad for a maximum of 6 months as a general rule. Beyond that period of time the IND will revoke your residence permit.

    In all cases where your residence permit was revoked by the IND, please contact the UvA Immigration team for more information on what to do next.