A Bachelor’s degree in Ancient Studies gives you the opportunity to work in many different fields:
- Government and business: for instance, you can do a traineeship at the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science or the EU, or take up a position as consultant or project manager for a company.
- Cultural sector: you can work as, among others, an archaeologist, museum curator or heritage manager at UNESCO.
- Journalism and publishing: you can find work as a journalist, an editor at a publishing agency, or as a speech writer for a political party.
- Education: you can train to be a teacher in Classical languages or History, work as a manager at a school, or lead cultural trips.
- Academia: you can further specialise by doing research at a university.
A related Master's programme
Most students enrol in a Master’s programme to acquire broader or more specialised academic knowledge. The UvA offers over 220 one-, one and a half- and two-year Master’s programmes, many of which are taught in English. If you are looking to acquire broader or more specialised academic knowledge following your Bachelor's, apply for one of the UvA's Master's programmes.
With a Bachelor's degree in Ancient Studies you can gain access to the one-year (60 EC) Master's programmes:
- Classics and Ancient Civilizations
- Kunst, cultuur en politiek
- Identity and Integration
- Philosophy of the Humanities and the Social Sciences
You can also opt for a dual Master's programme: a profession-oriented program at academic level of one and a half years (90 EC), including a work-study period. Due to the limited number of apprenticeships, a selection procedure applies to all dual masters. With a Bachelor's degree in Ancient Studies you can gain access to the dual Masters:
Students with a strong interest in research can apply for a two-year (120 EC) Research Master. There is a selection procedure for all Research Masters, which focuses in particular on the content of your Bachelor's, the study results obtained and your thesis. With a Bachelor's degree in Ancient Studies you can apply for the Research Master's:
You can obtain a first-degree teaching certificate with the Master's degree in teacher training. First, you will complete a Master's program in your field. After this you are admissible to the Master.
'My research concerns the question of what the epics of our own time are and how they use epic narrative structures from Antiquity.'