For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Visas and permits

Study visa and study residence permit

Coronavirus affecting your upcoming immigration procedure? Read more

Currently studying at UvA and wondering how the coronavirus might affect your residence permit? Read more

In order to be able to study in the Netherlands, you may need to apply for a residence permit and/or an entry visa. This depends on your nationality.

Choose your nationality:

More information

  • Study progress monitoring

    Update on study progress monitoring

    Every year at the beginning of March the UvA does the first study progress monitoring check and informs all students by e-mail on their progress. This year the UvA has decided to postpone this email until there is more clarity on how strict the IND will maintain their policy regarding the minimum of 50% threshold.

    Due to the temporary closure of the UvA it is not possible to meet with a student counsellor to discuss your situation in person until early June.

    If you are worried about your study progress and would like to be in touch and discuss your options (also if you are not able to study well due to circumstances) please contact the UvA Immigration Office and they will forward your request to the student counsellors.

    Study progress monitoring explained

    Every year at the end of the academic year the UvA has to monitor whether students with a residence permit for study have made sufficient progress in their studies (both bachelor and master). This is called study progress monitoring.

    Students receive a residence permit from the Dutch Immigration Services (IND) that is valid for the nominal duration of their education. Students keep this residence permit if they obtain at least 50% of the required credits for each academic year. Is the study progress not sufficient? The UvA must then report this to the IND. You may lose your residence permit.

    To whom does the study progress monitoring not apply?

    • To all students who are enrolled for a preparatory period (like pre-master). You must complete this program within 12 months and no extension is possible.
    • Students who deregistered during the course of the academic year.
    • Exchange students. 
    • Students who graduate within the academic year.

    The UvA informs you twice a year if you have enough credits to keep your residence permit.

    What happens if you cannot make the 50%?

    The UvA informs the IND by the end of November at the latest whether you have obtained at least 50% of the required credits in the past academic year. The academic year ends by August 31.

    Have you not obtained sufficient credits? The UvA then has to determine if there is valid reason for this. This is called an excusable reason. These must be severe personal circumstances like illness, family circumstances, psychological problems.

    Do you not have an excusable reason and insufficient credits? The UvA Immigration Office must then deregister you at the IND.

    The IND will inform you about the deregistration. Your residence permit may be withdrawn. You will receive a letter about this to which you can respond. If your residence permit will be withdrawn and you wish to remain in the Netherlands, you will have to apply for another residence permit.

    What can be a valid reason?

    A valid reason means an excusable reason. These are listed in the Higher Education and Research Act. These are:

    • illness
    • physical or sensory impairment or other functional disorder
    • pregnancy
    • exceptional family circumstances
    • board duties
    • the inability to study

    If you have obtained insufficient credits and has a valid reason than nothing has to be reported to the IND. The university will include in its records that you have a valid reason.  Just as long as you have contacted the student counsellors before August 31.

    Study switch is not grounds for exemption. A student who makes insufficient progress with his studies is not allowed to stay at the same institution. He may, however, switch to another educational institution to continue his studies.

    Cancelling enrolment before May 1? Then it is possible to apply for a new residence permit for the September start (unless the program of BSA does not permit it).

  • Financial proof

    Information for prospective students

    For the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) you need to provide us with financial proof showing that you have sufficient financial means to cover both your living expenses and your tuition fees.

    Read more

  • More than one nationality

    If you have more than one nationality, you may choose which nationality you would like to use. If one of these nationalities is EU/EEA or Swiss, we recommend to use this nationality, as then you will not need a residence permit.

  • Schengen Area

    Residence permits arranged by the UvA will allow you to travel freely (up to 90 days every six months) in the Schengen Area, which makes trips to Spain, France, Germany and other European countries possible.

  • Extending your residence permit
    • You must extend your residence permit before your current one expires. You can start the application for the extension of your residence permit 3 months before the expiration date of your current residence permit.
    • The costs of an extension of your residence permit are €180.

    Residence permit extension

  • Staying after graduation

    When you graduate from the UvA, you may apply for a one-year residence permit in order to search for employment in the Netherlands. This is called an Orientation Year Permit. For more information, follow the link below.

    Orientation Year Permit

  • Contact

    If you have questions after reading the information on our website, you can talk to us directly during our telephone consultation hours:

    • Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10:00-11:00
    • Tuesday and Thursday between 15:00-16:00
    • Call us at +31 (0)20-525 5375